Prince’s Trust Australia’s Sustainable Communities portfolio showcases exemplar developments and inspires positive change in the built environment through the delivery of related education and training for young people, students and professionals.
Education and Training
To support the delivery of our showcase developments, Prince’s Trust Australia will provide education and training programs in areas such as traditional trades, building, architecture, urbanism and sustainability. Prince’s Trust Australia is currently developing the 2019 education and training program.
Programs will be delivered with Trust partners such as INTBAU Australia (International Network of Traditional Building Architecture and Urbanism), which is a global educational network which also works under the patronage of its founder H.R.H The Prince of Wales and is dedicated to creating better places to live.
Prince’s Trust Conversation Series
This year, Prince’s Trust Australia in partnership with INTBAU Australia held a number of discussions that celebrate contextual architecture, interior design, landscape architecture and sustainability to mark the INTBAU World Congress happening in London.
In 2018, the following presentations and discussions were delivered nationally:
- Art Lohsen – ‘Ever Ancient, Ever New: Timeless Design in Context, Material, and Identity'
- Ashley Halliday – ‘The Prince’s Terrace, Adelaide - The Benefits of World-Leading Traditional and Sustainable Design Thinking’
- Thomas Hamel – ‘The Timeless Interior: Blending old world graciousness and simplicity into modern interior designs’
- Dr Shaneen Fantin – ‘Australian Indigenous Architecture: Old and New’
- Michael Bell – ‘Talking Luanja at Rose Bay Cottage’
- Como By Design – Panel Discussion with Thomas Hamel, Paul Bangay, Michael Bell and Justin Hewitt
Dates and themes for the 2019 Conversation Series will be announced soon. Stay tuned by signing up to our newsletter.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
Prince’s Terrace Adelaide
Working in partnership with Defence Housing Australia and South Australia Renewal, The Prince’s Trust Australia developed ‘The Prince’s Terrace’ in Bowden, Adelaide. The development demonstrates world class sustainable residential design and innovation. Utilising traditional architecture and materials to not only respect local heritage, but to also promote local character and enhance place identity.
The development consists of eight three storey terraces and four single storey mews apartments, which are now home to twelve serving Defence Force families. The development merges good design with sustainable building practices, attesting to its commercial viability and was the first in Australia to receive a 6 Star Green Star design rating from the Green Building Council of Australia.
The Prince’s Terrace's sustainability credentials include:
- The first 6 Star ‘Design’ and ‘As Built’ rated project in SA
- The first 6 Star Multi-Unit Residential ‘Design’ and ‘As Built’ project in Australia
- Highest scoring Green Star project in SA (across all rating tools)
- Uses 50% less energy and 50% less potable water use than a typical urban townhouse
- 40% carbon footprint reduction when compared to a standard house
- 95% of all waste generated in the build has been recycled
- Excellence in Sustainability Award 2018 - The Urban Developer Awards
- Townhouse/Villa Development of the Year - 2018 HIA Australian GreenSmart Awards
- Townhouse/Villa Development of the Year - 2018 HIA-CSR South Australian Housing Awards
- Green Building of the Year - 2018 Architecture and Design Sustainability Awards
- Multiple Dwelling - 2018 Architecture and Design Sustainability Awards
- Environment Excellence - 2018 UDIA South Australia Awards for Excellence
- Small-Scale Development (Residential) - 2018 UDIA South Australia Awards for Excellence