Everything you need to know for Data Decisions
What is Data Decisions?
Data Decisions 2020 is a scenario-based workshop delivered online and led by young people that will activate decision-making skills and support students to: design ethical decisions, responses and strategies based on data provided throughout the day.
This workshop is open to an often-overlooked cohort of Year 8 students and those that are not in formalised leadership positions – this is a chance for young people who may not have a voice to be heard.
How does Data Decisions help?
Teachers and educators will benefit from:
- Building ethical capabilities of students
- Understand how data and surveys are used by partners to build skills and capabilities
- Provide an opportunity for underrepresented students to be heard and design solutions to challenges that impact them.
Students will benefit from:
- Shared connections and experiences with young people from other schools
- Gain an understanding and trust in the process and decision making
- Potential to influence their peers
- Safe and supportive space to explore solutions
- Certificate of participation
How will the event run?
Data Decisions is designed to be an engaging and interactive online experience for all participants. We have intentionally curated the event to include a blend of online and offline activities. The workshop will be delivered online via Zoom and we will utilise online tools such as Padlet and Miro for collaborative activities.
I'm an educator, how should I set up my classroom?
Firstly, you’re awesome. Thanks for your support! We recommend the following set up:
Use one computer to connect it on a projector or smartboard so that all students can see and hear the facilitators and their screen. It would be great to connect a camera so we can see you and your students.
Need to factor in a recess break? See the Program for how we have set up the timing for each day.
For more information about how to prepare for Data Decisions, see the What do I need to do before the event? FAQ.
If you have any other questions, please email us and one of our friendly team will reply as soon as possible.
What do I need to do before the event?
We will email you with all the resources and instructions that you will need before the event.
The workshop is limited to 10 schools so make sure you have registered via this form and have received confirmation. In order to participate schools must be able to:
- Nominate a point of contact to liaise with PTA prior to the workshop
- Organise a supervising teacher to accompany students during the workshop (This can be the same as the point of contact)
- Organise a physical space for students to participate in the workshop
- Arrange for a teacher to support students and actively participate during the workshop
- Select appropriate students that will benefit from participating in this workshop
- Organise any required parental consent or permission forms for students to attend
If you are an educator, check out the How should I set up my classroom? FAQ.
What will I need during the event?
We will email you with all the resources, login details, and instructions that you will need before the event.
This sounds great...but I can't make this workshop. How can I find out more about future workshops?
Don’t stress, if you miss out on this one please ensure you have registered and we will automatically put you on the waiting list and will keep you posted on any future Data Decision workshops.
What if I need to take a break/recess?
Not a problem, have a look at our Program to see how we have set up each day, including breaks.
Who do I contact if I have any further questions?
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our friendly team members will reply as soon as possible.